BMW 4-Series Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently a new trend in the custom car world is wrapping your vehicle in velvet. Take a look at this picture of a BMW M3 getting this treatment.

It looks cool in this picture, but I think in person it would seem tacky. I'd rather have a matte black paint job instead. It might be nice to have some accent colors on it too.

I know people like their cars a lot, but I don't need to wrap mine in velvet so I have an excuse to pet it.

What do you think of this velvet wrap trend? Are you a fan of my black matte alternative, or do you have better things planned for your BMW?

·
Registered
743 Posts
i wouldn't do it, the colors BMW's come with make the cars look amazing already. So much time and money goes into developing those colors, making sure they look right on the cars they're on, keeping it OEM is what i'll be doing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would never consider wrapping my car in a fabric. Won't the velvet look terrible once it gets wet or dirty? And I'm sure it is much harder to clean than a metal surface.

Matte paint jobs are pretty cool though. I'd rather go with the red matte than the black though.

In the end my top choice is the regular Estoril Blue color. Its a classic.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would never consider wrapping my car in a fabric. Won't the velvet look terrible once it gets wet or dirty? And I'm sure it is much harder to clean than a metal surface.

Matte paint jobs are pretty cool though. I'd rather go with the red matte than the black though.

In the end my top choice is the regular Estoril Blue color. Its a classic.
unless they treated it with some product to prevent from looking like crap after.
estoril blue is one of the best colors.
I wish they brought back Laguna Seca Blue....

·
Registered
181 Posts
unless they treated it with some product to prevent from looking like crap after.
estoril blue is one of the best colors.
I wish they brought back Laguna Seca Blue....

Laguna Seca is a bit light for me. Its more of a baby blue, or light blue. If I'm going blue I want it to be dark. If I'm going bright I want it to be red.

There is a matte version of the Estoril Blue though, and I think it looks nice. I would actually think about getting it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wrapped in velvet? ahh man whats next leopard skin and chinchilla...
It's almost as bad as the lamborghini gallardo wrapped in leather.

why?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The owner was thinking of scoring originality points somehow just wait till it rains or gets wet, it's going to stink literally. Vinyl wrap is the furthest I would ever go.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The owner was thinking of scoring originality points somehow just wait till it rains or gets wet, it's going to stink literally. Vinyl wrap is the furthest I would ever go.
I can't imagine covering my car in anything other than paint. There are other paint types/colors that are nice, but it has to be paint. The only other thing I would consider is carbon fiber, but that doesn't need any paint or covering at all -- it is just a cool material that look great as is. I really do think that the velvet would make the car smell once it gets wet, and I also think it would make the car extremely hot in the summer. That black velvet absorbs the heat and works as an extra layer of insulation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah the smell of a wet dog or any wet dead animal carcass!

No real positive benefits to doing this maybe some bragging rights but it would probably strike more conversations with out even speaking about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts