BMW 4-Series Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota and BMW are to be working on a supercapacitor hybrid system together. The plug-in hybrid system would utilize similar technology to the Toyota's Le Mans LMP1 race car.

The use of supercapacitors will enable the system to quickly discharge energy to the motors in the car's hybrid four-wheel-drive system, while quickly recharging from regenerative braking.

It is not yet known what vehicles may receive this technology, but rumors point towards the BMW Z4 and the upcoming Toyota Supra.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I guess that this technology is meant for the i line of BMW models. I don't think that there are hybrid models other than those.

Any other guesses at where this technology is headed?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I guess that this technology is meant for the i line of BMW models. I don't think that there are hybrid models other than those.

Any other guesses at where this technology is headed?
It is for the EV's but I can see them being used in hybrids. Toyota/Lexus has a number of hybrids this can implemented in.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i feel like this tech is more from toyota than it is from bmw
It is, this is what BMW wants from the joint venture. Toyota already has the super capacity tech pretty well vested, check out their new TS040 P1 for LeMans this year. I think what the two of them will be working on is productionizing the technology and figuring out a way to produce it cost effectively...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts