BMW 4-Series Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straight from the Horses Mouth, Ian Robertson, BMW's head of sales:

The sports car market is roughly half of what it used to be,” Ian Robertson, BMW’s head of sales, said in an interview at the manufacturer’s headquarters in Munich. “Post-2008, it just collapsed. I’m not so sure it’ll ever fully recover.”

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it could recover but it's going to be a while.
I see a lot of these partnership builds as a way to cut losses and test what works in the real world which already has proven worthy from their observations. Maybe as things pick up we will see more 'stand-alone' builds from brands.
So in BMW's case, maybe the Z4 after the one coming up will be all BMW and no Toyota.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Regardless of the market, seems like the car industry is still coming out with new sports cars like the Maserati Alfieri or the NSX.

·
Registered
54 Posts
New cars yes but not always sports cars. Hard to tell with the current market because the posrts cars you listed had a hard time or is having a hard time with going into production.

Alfieri has been delayed and the NSX took a few years before making it's production debut.

·
Registered
743 Posts
What I can make of the industry when it comes to bringing sports cars to market, there has to be enough volume going on elsewhere for them to justify the move.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sports cars have their own specific niche market that acts like the flagship product of a particular manufacturer. Hence, it is not surprising for the entire industry to go down concurrently due to poor market demand. When the sector improves, the same situation will apply for all other manufacturers as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts