BMW 4-Series Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new M4 is going to have an extra 9 horsepower over its V8-powered predecessor. This extra power comes from a 3-liter turbo-charged straight 6. This engine will rev up to an impressive 7,500 rpm. The real impressive part is the change in torque. Two turbo-chargers help to give an extra 73 lb-ft of torque over the V8 at 369. The new M4 will also be quite a bit lighter than the E92 M3 through the use of lightweight materials, like aluminum and carbon fiber.

And a cool graph to boot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That extra torque should propell the M4 to the low 12's (maybe 12 flat) in the quarter. I always found the huge discrepancy between hp and tq numbers in the previous gen M3 rather odd (414,295).

·
Registered
339 Posts
That extra torque should propell the M4 to the low 12's (maybe 12 flat) in the quarter. I always found the huge discrepancy between hp and tq numbers in the previous gen M3 rather odd (414,295).
because as you cut weight torque becomes less important. Its all about your gears. If the car (or you) can keep it in the power band at all times it doesnt matter how much or how little you have its about effective usage. Just go look at the hp/torque disparity in F1 engines. High revving, high horsepower engines, low low torque...

Im expecting this M4 to corner better than the M3 coupe. the I6 TT is inherently more balanced than a cross plane v8... plus lopping off 2 cylinders definitely saves weight :D

·
Registered
743 Posts
The 3rd Gen's are still amazing to this day, you can get them for a good price and turn them into a track monster for a reasonable amount of cash.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
That is a pretty big spike in power from the 3rd to the 4th generation. It just makes me think that as the newer generations come the power is on the rise and not going to flat out anytime soon.

·
Registered
154 Posts
C&D just posted an initial estimate of the new M3 @12.1-12.5s in the 1/4 and 3.8-4.4s 0-60. Quite impressive. I'm sure the lower end of the times are for the DCT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts