BMW 4-Series Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my white 420d m sport auto in April and can't wait.

What do they drive like? Was expecting a straight 6 but a 4 cylinder should be fine just a bit less smooth I would imagine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
New 420d - April 2016

Picking up my white 420d m sport auto in April and can't wait.

What do they drive like? Was expecting a straight 6 but a 4 cylinder should be fine just a bit less smooth I would imagine.
If this is your first Bimmer, there is nothing ahead for you but ... Fun!
BMW still makes the most engaging sedans/coupes around.
Your M-Sport package adds to the already great handling.
If, however you've been down the BMW road before, you will notice the evolutionary change in technology that has unfortunately taken away some the legendary driving dynamics. It's a new world.
With that said ... they're still terrific cars to drive. The 4 Series in particular has great handling and the brakes are excellent.
You're going to love it.

As to the 4 cylinder engines, yes they aren't as smooth as the in-line six. But then, we are comparing the N20 to one of the smoothest engines ever.
The little four starts up from cold sounding somewhat like a 1990's vintage John Deere diesel tractor. But as soon as you get moving, you'll quickly forget about that and just enjoy the drive.

The turbocharged fours are really quite remarkable. Strong performance along with Great fuel mileage. When I got my 428xi there was some doubt in my mind (435xi vs 428xi) but the turbo six was $5,000 more expensive. The little N20 has amazing performance, more than enough to inspire many silly grins. It's rolled over several thousand miles of twisty mountain / back roads in effortless fun.
I have zero regrets.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Never owned a bimmer but my brother was always letting me drive his 330ci which was lovely to drive just totally effortless but always felt like it wanted to be unleashed.

I am used to diesel clatter my 2ltr 8v pug 306hdi is no longer smooth or quiet after 200k miles and sounds like a John Dere at all times! Still get 38-45mpg though which is surprising

Can't wait to get back into a bimmer.....this time my own!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Never owned a bimmer but my brother was always letting me drive his 330ci which was lovely to drive just totally effortless but always felt like it wanted to be unleashed.

I am used to diesel clatter my 2ltr 8v pug 306hdi is no longer smooth or quiet after 200k miles and sounds like a John Dere at all times! Still get 38-45mpg though which is surprising

Can't wait to get back into a bimmer.....this time my own!

i was in the same boat, my friend let me borrow his 330ci, then that lead to me buying an E46 M3, i never looked back. soon after he got an M3 as well. E46 was one of the best BMW platforms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts