BMW 4-Series Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After leaving Germany on the 10th of April, my 4GC has finally made it around Africa and into Australian waters! 5 days to make it around the south of the country and dock in Sydney (wollongong actually, but close enough)

428i GC in mineral grey with red/black dakota leather interior and a few options:
Adaptive LED headlights
M Sport Package
Metallic paint
Head-Up Display
Active Cruise Control
M Sport Brakes
Surround View
harman/kardon sound system
Comfort Access
Seat heating front
Sun protection glazing
Tyre pressure monitor
Variable sport steering

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting choice of alternatives... those were the 3 other cars with which I was cross-shopping :)

Evoque was the first we considered, but they are a bit big and I couldn't get comfortable in the seat. A friend has one and complains the boot is too small, and it's starting to have a lot of problems (spends more time at the dealership than in the garage)

3-Series touring - meets all our practicality requirements and probably the best looking wagon around. However my wife doesn't like wagons...

Macan - I actually preordered a Macan S very early on and have been a very active member of macanforum. However my dealer tried to rip me off severely (double-charging ~$6k luxury car tax) and when I brought the issue up, I was told to take it or leave it. The same day the 4GC was leaked so I took my business to BMW and placed my preorder there :) Macan is a great car but looks nowhere near as sleek as the 4-series.

· Registered
2 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-first-drive-review
Nice new review!
Macan US MPG not finalized but a bit disappointing. Wagons don't sell well in the US either. (The new C-class wagon looks nice too but unlikely to make it here) Like the interior of the Evoque. Just wish that the GC was also available with a panoramic sunroof. (I'm not sure I can bear to buy a 3GT just for that added feature ;) )

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotta love the comments there... but I take it as a compliment that the biggest complaint people have about the 4GC is "BMW has too many models!"

2 more days until my ship docks in Victoria... my state is the next stop :)

· Registered
138 Posts
congrats chylld! I do feel that BMW has too many models, but you know what if they all looked as good as the GC's I would have NO problem... I'd be head over heels if they even went and got around to penning a 2 GC. Kinda as close to e46/36 as its ever going to get again :D

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Impressions in chronological order:

- such a cosy place to be, cockpit just wraps around you and the seat is super adjustable, although I would like a little bit more tilt in the base. Still, very comfortable

- more than enough room in all 3 back seats (i'm 5'9"). middle seat very usable

- steering is nice and light in comfort mode - wouldn't change it. weights up in sport mode a little bit. i have variable ratio depending on amount of lock ("variable sport steering") and it's taking a while to get used to

- rear view mirror is stupidly positioned quite low so it blocks out a large portion of the forward visibility. adding insult to this is the small rear window which looks out at the tops of the cars behind you

- car is so quiet. thought i was doing 30kph, look at the head-up display and it says 70kph!! ride is nice, lets me know where bumps are but doesn't shout about it. a bit of road noise to let me know i'm moving. not as quiet as a lexus, but if i wanted that, i would have bought a lexus.

- engine has a good amount of power, much more responsive and lag-free than my golf R.

- comfort access, love being able to leave the key in my pocket!

etc etc. love this car.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is red leather, the colour temperature on my camera may have been wrong :) Also the leather is the same brightness of red as the lower dash, but the interior lights make the seats look brighter in photos.

Played with the interior ambient lights - the 'white' light is a bit orange so I got a bit of a shock when I changed it to actual orange! Same colour as the instruments which is not my thing, but at least you have a choice :) Really happy with the ambient lighting.

Need to shop for non-polarised sunglasses as my current sunnies are vertically polarised, and make the HUD disappear. If I rotate them 90 degrees, the HUD is clear but the nav screen / instrument cluster display disappear. So it will have to be non-polarised :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.