BMW 4-Series Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Following up on the thread I made in the Intro forum, I am currently looking at buying a 4 series in the next week or two. I have run into a bit of a dilemma and thought some of the experienced posters here may be able to point me in the right direction.

I am currently down to two cars in my search.

1. BMW 428i / M Sport / Glacier Silver / Black leather interior / Automatic transmission / Cold Weather package / Harman Kardon stereo / Premium package / Technology Package

2. BMW 435 / M Sport / Glacier Silver / Coral Red Leather interior / Manual transmission / Technology, Premium, Dynamic handling, and Driver Assistance packages, Heated Front Seats

The 435 is naturally about $6k more expensive. My question is about the pros and cons of getting a manual transmission ? Does anyone here have a manual and if so, how do you like it ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the 8AT so I can't speak first hand about the 6MT. Users have described it as precise but rubbery, whatever that means.

After 6 months with the car, I find myself missing the third pedal. There's a driver connection you just can't get even with the superb ZF 8 speed that BMW uses. It's 6 one way, half dozen the other. Faster with the AT, more driver focused with the MT. Test drive both cars then decide. It's a simplistic as that!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased the manual(435) and I really enjoy driving the car. It is all about personal preference. You do sacrifice some speed by ditching the AT. Also, I have heard others describe the manual as rubbery. Personally, I do not have enough experience with other manual transmission, but the stick seems to snap into gear nicely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purchased the manual(435) and I really enjoy driving the car. It is all about personal preference. You do sacrifice some speed by ditching the AT. Also, I have heard others describe the manual as rubbery. Personally, I do not have enough experience with other manual transmission, but the stick seems to snap into gear nicely.
Welcome to the forum!

i agree, it's all about personal preference. Some people just like a more connected feel and go for manual over automatic, something i think is best for most folks that drive these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts