BMW 4-Series Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any info or opinion on how good this package actually is?
Does it give more brightness, longer range etc as the dealers claim?
Is it worth the extra bucks?
All comments welcome.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did ask about the lighting package but have received very few responses so far. My guess is that there are not a lot of cars already purchased that have the package.
Anyhow I took a chance and ordered it with my 435 Convertible. Hope I didn't waste $1900

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure if you're a forum noob but one thread is enough. You can bump your thread if it starts to slip down the list, no need to keep posting new ones. The lack of responses is probably because no one on here has the option. There's a pretty small pool of members at the minute!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the car! What specs/colour did you order?

·
Registered
82 Posts
All comments welcome.
Thanks everyone.
I have the package. Without the package the headlights are much more reminicent of the 3 series coupe halogens in look and functionality, i believe (but im not sure). I only have seen one at night and at first i thought it was a 3 coming up behind me, but then noticed it was actually a 4 (i really wasnt paying attention tho, i could be off a little).....with the package the headlights look very distict when on. They have 4-equal beams (2 on each side obviously which are illuminated equally, but not where the outside bulbs are your headlights only like on the 3 series) that have the apperence of white hot. With the lighting upgrade, it Cannot and will not be mistaken for the old 3 series coupe or even a brand new 3 series sedan. Maybe a 6 or the i8 headlights. It also adds LED cabin and map lighting as opposed to stardard bulb. As for functionality....I mean i have 20 20 vision and its hard to reaaaaaaally kind of tell the difference at night between halogens and the upgrade. But if i had to make a distinction, i would say the upgrade looks a little more clearer imitating more of a daytime from a paneramic view because of the light intensity. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
360 Posts
the led may be a tad bit brighter than the xenon. it does throw the light farther from what I've seen

but xenon is already very good

so is it necessary? nope

is it nice to have? sure

I'd worry how much it cost to replace it once it goes out - which it will eventually.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yeah it's nice to have it but no one should be in a rush to get it unless they really want it for the minor difference it makes

·
Registered
82 Posts
All comments welcome.
Thanks everyone.
saw a 4 today without the lighting pack..... it is identical to the halogen upgrade with the halo inside rings on the 3 series.....with the pack it changes the look of the headlights completely when on..... they look like the i8/650i dual leds....nothing like the old 3 series upgrade.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you are an enthusiast and are competitive about its looks wanting to differentiate it. Go with the upgrade. OR you will be saying I should have, could have, would have.... when one night you are blinded in your rearview mirror by what seems to be an intimidating bimmer with sexy quad led's.....saying, "Wait, that was a 4 series? WOW. Why don't my lights look like that?"

·
Registered
360 Posts
LOL agree with foose

if you have the budget go for it

headlights do wonders to change the look of cars from the front at night and even during the day

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have noticed another benefit as well. We used to get brighted every time we were driving at night with the other cars we owned because we had to adjust the headlights up to get good viewing when dimmed. I have yet to be brighted with the LED lights.

I also had the wife follow behind me one night and they are bright, but they are not obnoxious like an HID kit. But they are so much more clear and they seem to throw the light further than any other light setup I have seen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
so less glare with the LED kit?
Yes. I noticed road signs and construction cone reflectors don't blind you either.

It seems to highlight the wording better than HID or high output systems I have had in the past, but it doesn't glare like the other systems.

I also noticed it is easier to see deer on the roadside. They are more defined against the background. That alone is worth the price!

·
Registered
360 Posts
that is great to hear

not having owned an OEM LED system this is all great info

thanks for sharing

I always though xenons with a good projector was the best there was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We only get to enjoy 50% of the value of the LED Lighting Package in the US models

that is great to hear

not having owned an OEM LED system this is all great info

thanks for sharing

I always though xenons with a good projector was the best there was.
Due to an antiquated DOT regulation, the most important feature of the LED Lighting Package is not available in the US. If you can do the coding you can restore it, though. The system uses the camera embedded in the rear view mirror to create light tunnels and manage high beams in very elegant and dynamic manner. Look it up in You Tube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The throw-distance of the LED package is farther than the Xenon's and the illumination to each side seems wider as well. The interior lighting that comes with the package is a nice luxury. Aesthetically, they look cool, which will have more or less value to different owners.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts