BMW 4-Series Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jalopnik, in all its wisdom, has made a post that asks, "Does The New BMW M4 Sound Like A Prius?"

The post is prompted by a video that shows the new BMW M4 starting up and revving its twin-turbo straight six engine. An onlooker says that it sounds like a Prius. And it seems to be true that the M4's engine is a little quiet. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does warrant a discussion.

Check out the video below, and take a listen for yourself.

Here is a video of a Prius revving its engine just for comparison's sake.

Having listened to both exhaust notes now, I think that comparing the M4 exhaust note to the Pruis's is a bit disingenuous.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thats it, i think the world is over, the day that a high performance M coupe sounds like a Prius is the day the end of the world is here, here it is.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Maybe if you're mushroom addled. There is clearly a high powered sporty sound to the M4. Plus you have to figure that free revs of the throttle are not at all the same as howling down the back stretch. Non issue, Jalopnik is just click baiting...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its a bit hard to tell from these videos, but I just can't imagine that an M4 sounds like a Prius. I'll agree that it is a good headline though. Probably got a lot of clicks for their site.

Without the comparison to the Prius, was anyone disappointed in the exhaust note of the M4 before being prompted to do so by this post?

·
Registered
360 Posts
isnt that an aftermarket exhaust on the prius?

considering its an inline 6.. inline 6s are glorified inline 4s in terms of sound.

the turbos in the m4 dont help either when it comes to making the exhaust loud. i aint a v8 anymore

·
Registered
138 Posts
Prius? Whose got time for that ;)

Regardless I love the sound of an Inline 6, actually I'm in lust with I5's even more hehehh. I actually like the M4s note over the e92's. The V8 just sounded too american/muscley with their burble burbles...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm sure BMW will offer an MPE (should be standard) for the M4/M3. My 435 with it sounds deep and rich both at idle and high RPM, way better than that sound clip.

·
Registered
360 Posts
they are just trying to stir some crap

the prius sounds nothing like any of the BMWs

especially not a real M car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts