BMW 4-Series Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to you all..! I am planning to get my 4 series next month and just wanted some advise as i am stuck on which engine to go for.. I have been looking at the 428i and the 430d and between the manual and the 8 speed auto. I have heard the 8 speed auto is pretty awesome and i've only ever owned manual cars. I want something with speed but also to save when i'm driving in the city. Any advise is much appreciated..!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know I am in the minority, but I love a manual transmission. I would not buy the car until they got me a 6 speed, and I couldn't be happier :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I am in the minority, but I love a manual transmission. I would not buy the car until they got me a 6 speed, and I couldn't be happier :)
How is the manual drive on your 4 series? I heard that 1st to 2nd gear there is some sort of nose and that its quiet common. Have you experienced that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
How is the manual drive on your 4 series? I heard that 1st to 2nd gear there is some sort of nose and that its quiet common. Have you experienced that?
None of that
She is smooth as a babies butt
The 428i replaced a Hyundai Gen Coupe 3.8 track 6 speed manual
Had a lot of problems with that manual - it was replaced after only 6 months
But the 428i manual
Smooth
Crisp

Love it

·
Registered
75 Posts
430d with the manual if it was my choice!

I test drove an automatic and the salesman said he'd be surprised if I still wanted a manual after. I ordered a manual haha. I don't know if it's because I've never driven automatics or if it's the lack of control you get over the car, but I just didn't enjoy it at all.

I've had no trouble with my manual box. Everything's nice and smooth.

You may want to consider a change to auto if you get stuck in lots of city commuting traffic though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings. New to the site but thought I would register as I have ordered 428 msport for 1st March. I was not sure which model I wanted so test drove 428 msport auto and fell in love with auto box. Thought I would never say that as I have always had manual but this so good. It does actually give great control, just 2clicks down and it takes off!! I was originally going for the 3.0 diesel but tested the 330d with same engine and box but I think the Petrol suits the car more and it was smoother
Can't wait for 1st March however the dealer has confirmed that it will be here this week!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input guys much appreciated... Think i will go for the 428i m sport auto & speed like AG65 . Im from London so alot of city driving and traffic so i think the auto will be beneficial in the long run. Glad to hear everyone is loving their 4 series :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts