BMW 4-Series Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled upon this forum and decided to join :)

I've been looking at the 428, any experiences/feedbacks on this model?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I believe that was with the first few batches but if you're planning to get one now, being a 2016 year model version you might not run into that problem, good chance it was addressed by now. Looking out for a Technical Service Bulletin will help guide you around this concern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @MPWR for the guidance.

I need to go check out the car in person to see the whole picture :)

Always good to know before hand of any possible glitches.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks @MPWR for the guidance.

I need to go check out the car in person to see the whole picture :)

Always good to know before hand of any possible glitches.
Indeed.

But not everyone has that ability and patience, they just need to get in right away and are willing to take whatever risk comes with it. And I can see how that's the case. Most buyers are like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
4 Series
I've been driving my 428xi G.C. for nearly a year without a hint of a problem. We really enjoy the car. The little N20 4 cylinder turbo motor is slightly less refined and smooth than the preceding 6 cylinder motor but the performance is pretty remarkable. On cold start it sounds a little like a small John Deere diesel tractor but quiets down pretty well when warm. We're currently driving our third car with the N20 turbo and we haven't experienced any problems with them after more than 100K miles driven. And, we haven't found the engine noise particularly objectionable.

There were several TSBs on the 2014s, mostly for airbags and headlights. Not much since then.

Go for it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
4 Series
I've been driving my 428xi G.C. for nearly a year without a hint of a problem. We really enjoy the car. The little N20 4 cylinder turbo motor is slightly less refined and smooth than the preceding 6 cylinder motor but the performance is pretty remarkable. On cold start it sounds a little like a small John Deere diesel tractor but quiets down pretty well when warm. We're currently driving our third car with the N20 turbo and we haven't experienced any problems with them after more than 100K miles driven. And, we haven't found the engine noise particularly objectionable.

There were several TSBs on the 2014s, mostly for airbags and headlights. Not much since then.

Go for it.
That's one reason why i'm missing the days of having some really exotic sounding inline 6's, the E46 line was a good example of this.

I know Porsche Cayman/Boxster owners will value the 6 banger even more since the new Cayman/Boxster is getting a 4 banger... sounds like a Subaru now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts