BMW 4-Series Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 4 series and am trying to figure out whether i want a 428 or 435. My current desired specs are Glacier Silver / M Sport / Tech package / Harmon Kardon Stereo / Heated seats

With that said, I am still not decided whether I want to go 428 or 435. I test drove a 435 here in Nevada recently and really liked it. Hope to hear more on the pros and cons of both 4 and 6 cylinder here.

Cheers

·
Registered
169 Posts
The difference in power is dramatic. Do you drive hard often? If so, go for the 435i.

Otherwise, the 428i is a fantastic modern powertrain, and the lower running costs can be a significant plus as time progresses.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Second what Imola has to say, although I would give strong consideration to the sixxer as that block is one of the most bulletproof in the league!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The difference in power is dramatic. Do you drive hard often? If so, go for the 435i.

Otherwise, the 428i is a fantastic modern powertrain, and the lower running costs can be a significant plus as time progresses.
Thanks, good to know as i haven't driven a 428 yet. The power of the 435 was quite impressive though, and I could see myself being a bit underwhelmed if it isn't there when I drive a 428. At the moment, I'm looking very closely at a couple of 435s and hope to buy within the next week or two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, good to know as i haven't driven a 428 yet. The power of the 435 was quite impressive though, and I could see myself being a bit underwhelmed if it isn't there when I drive a 428. At the moment, I'm looking very closely at a couple of 435s and hope to buy within the next week or two.
You might want to try calling around to some of the dealers near you to see what they have, they might have one you can test drive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The difference is so massive now. I remember with the E90's the 28 was just the 35 sans turbos, so you still got a silky straight 6. Going to a four pot has made the power band much shorter and bit peaky if you ask me...

·
Registered
154 Posts
and if you're building your car and having it shipped from Germany, opt for the port installed power kit on the 435 so you can outrun an S5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
and if you're building your car and having it shipped from Germany, opt for the port installed power kit on the 435 so you can outrun an S5.
Good tip, hopefully more folks are aware of this, is this something widely known of what? how were you able to find out about it?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The power kit or MPPK is an ECU reflash that's performed at the port of entry (along with other various M performance parts such as front splitters, black kidney grilles, performance exhaust, etc). Additionally, a revised air intake is installed bumping the hp to a claimed 335 in the 435i and 335i. It shaves a couple tenths off of the 0-60 run but more importantly provides greater mid range punch.

Surprisingly, some dealers are unaware of this upgrade which I find ridiculous. It's not even listed as an option on the website when building a car. I'm very happy I was able to get it as it debuted just prior to my car hitting the NY port back in February. I believe the list cost is $1500. Not cheap but it is under factory warranty. I leased my car so the MPPK was fully residualized. Therefore I pay $680 spread out through the life of the 3 year lease.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts