BMW 4-Series Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Most M badged vehicles from Bavaria are available with three pedals, for now...

Frank van Meel, the big boss of BMW M, mentioned to Autocar that the manual transmission might not live on much longer. “From a technical standpoint, the future doesn’t look bright for manual gearboxes,” van Meel said. "The DCT and auto ’boxes are faster and they have better fuel consumption."

But what about from an engagement standpoint, what about the consumers who still want one? "It’s difficult to say we’ll stick to the manual, but we still have a big fan community for manuals and we are not going to take away something the customer wants to have,”

In other news van Meel also said the M division is exploring the potential of electrification in future models. The likely application is with electric turbocharging to increase throttle response. "We’ve already taken steps to improve throttle response with our V8, but we can improve further still with electric turbos. The philosophy has to be right to fit in with M, but yes, this is technology we’re looking at if we can make it fit.”

·
Registered
181 Posts
Manuals are going to be a niche option very soon. It's already happening. The younger folks just don't know how to drive manual that well, and technology is making it so that automatics are better in terms of fuel efficiency etc... Driving a manual is about the experience now. It should stick around on higher end models but regular models won't give the option in the future.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My next car (M2/3/4) will be 6MT. I got the ZF8 in my 435 because it's so much faster than the 6MT version. I miss the driver involvement of MT. Besides, a MT M car is still a very fast car, just not as fast as a DCT one. It's all relative I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts