BMW 4-Series Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lexus has debuted the new RC-F, a weaponized RC coupe with the M4 in its crosshairs. The question, is Lexus' aim any good?

So as we know BMW downsized the M4/M3 engine from a 4.0L V-8 to their tried and true flat 6 TT which cracks out an impressive 431 hp and 406-lb-fts. Lexus pulled an interesting move in importing technology from the Prius. The RC-F's 5.0 V8 has been tuned to run on an Atkinson cycle and an Otto cycle. Basically during low-power cruising the 5.0 will flip into Atkinson cycle allowing the engine to operate as a 4.2L by leaving the intake vales open for part of the compression stroke. Performance specs on the RC-F are nascent to this point, with rumors swirling from 450-480 horsepower and 380-400 lb-fts of twist. Both cars feature plenty of carbon bits, like lips and roofs.

Whats still up in the air for the RC-F are two KEY factors. Firstly we don't know much about the Lexus' gearbox, going by the IS-F it could very well be an 8 speed slushbox complete with torque converter ;). That my friends would be a travesty, how can you announce your going M hunting and then show up with a conventional auto :dodgy:

The second factor is price. Lexus has not announced an official price line for the RC-F but already the internet is rumbling about a six figure price tag. Again, how does Lexus expect to go M hunting when they may very well price themselves completely out of the market?

Anyways, lets hear those thoughts. Would you consider, would you test drive or won't you???

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really like it. The grill is a bit tacky for my taste but it's profile is nice. Love the V-8! Exhaust will be killer I assume. Slush box only is a bit weak, but I'll have to drive it before I criticize.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think that the Lexus' grille needs to be filled with something other than that fishnet-like grate. On that point I think the Bimmer has a nicer front end. The Lexus has a pretty cool back end though with its taillights that jut out off the sides of the vehicle. I think that the interior of the Lexus is nicer too. All I see is horizontal lines on the BMW's interior, made from the vents and slim radio and touch screen and everything.

As far as performance the two cars are both beastly. I think I would have to actually drive them both to get more of a feel for the difference between them.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Both are great vehicles when you compare just about everything about them, both are good enough that I think it comes down to which badge you rather have.
I loved the M4 from day one and i'm also a die hard BMW guy, so you guys should have an idea of what i want!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got some detailed RC-F interior pics for y'all...

Interior certainly looks the part, but it takes much more than a pretty suit to take down the M's ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think the biggest problem with the RC-F is that it comes with a regular automatic.

I was really expecting a DCT.

I am surprised Lexus continues to hold onto that automatic transmission.

How can you have a super powerful V8 and hold on to the ancient transmission?!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the biggest problem with the RC-F is that it comes with a regular automatic.

I was really expecting a DCT.

I am surprised Lexus continues to hold onto that automatic transmission.

How can you have a super powerful V8 and hold on to the ancient transmission?!
I just don't think they have one, in the entire Toyota folder. Outside of the pricey LFA transmission they don't have one performance oriented gearbox. even manual can only be found on the lowliest of corollas.

its possible they have something in works but wanted to get the rc-f out in the same year as the M4...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts