BMW 4-Series Forums banner

BMW M2 Special Edition Reportedly Inspired by E30 M3

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MPWR 
#1 ·

If you’re a fan of the BMW E30 M3, there could be some good news on the horizon.

The German automaker is working on a new M car that will be inspired by the E30 M3’s design, according to BMW Group design director Adrian van Hooydonk. Although Hooydonk wouldn't share exactly which M car will be the platform, it is likely a special edition M2 model that is expected to debut as part of the company’s 100th anniversary next year. The 2016 BMW M2 is scheduled to launch later this year and AutoGuide.com‘s spy photographers have caught it testing numerous times. It will reportedly sport 369 hp from a new 3.0-liter turbocharged six-cylinder engine that is not related to what’s found in the M3 and M4 models.

In an interview with Autocar, Hooydonk said, 'With M cars, we try to get the downforce right without moveable aero. It’s the most authentic way.' In other words, Hooydonk is putting an emphasis that the special M car will likely carry the E30 M3’s distinctive fenders and wing. Expect additional changes to the M2 model to include weight savings, which was another major factor on the E30 M3.
Read more about the BMW M2 Special Edition Reportedly Inspired by E30 M3 at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#4 ·
The M2 is shaping up to be my next car. It should have the good stuff my 435xi doesn't (lighter, smaller, better handling) all for possibly thousands less.

I like the N55. It's a great engine. I can only imagine it with 30-40 more hp in a car weighing 300-400 lbs less in the M2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.