BMW 4-Series Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let go a deep sigh when I first read about BMW testing in-car ads that tailor ads to customers based on their location and destination. BMW has called this technology the "virtual marketplace of the future." The project aims to deliver "location-based offers and services relevant to a specific route and final destination."

The example that BMW gives doesn't sound quite so bad as what first comes to mind. The example BMW gives is displaying real time parking information, such as availability and fees, when approaching a destination.

BMW goes on to say that the system could also use your location to tell you about discounts at nearby retailers. :(

Apparently drivers can customize their preferences so they only see ads that interest them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would have thought there would be an option to opt-out. Or knowing BMW it'll probably be a £2k optional extra to disable ads

·
Registered
339 Posts
are the retailers going to pay me for being subject to their advertisements 24/7 while driving? No, didnt think so. Leave me alone please...

·
Registered
181 Posts
There is a difference between useful info and ads. I am happy to be told where there is parking in a city but I don't need to know which bars have happy hour around me. I have an app on my phone for that. I just automatically think the worst when I hear of a system like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts