BMW 4-Series Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read that BMW is considering using three-cylinder 1.5-liter engines in its FWD M division. These engines would be able to get up to 310 HP or more. That means that these would be compact FWD M cars that pack a punch.

What do you think of this move? Could you get used to a three-cylinder, or is the change a deal breaker?

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is a little over 100hp per cylinder. sounds impressive but hows the reliability of them. And how will the engine tone be like, I really would hate driving around a bmw that sounds like a lawn mower

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Well they are still just "considering" at this point. I mean if they can get that much then sky is the limit for the future of this newly discovered tech.

it's unheard of for a three cylinder to make that much but I have a feeling it relying solely on the turbo to pump out such high numbers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Come on guys... Tell me your not impressed its a god **** 1.5L 3 cylinder thats making over 300hp what more do you guys want. I'd seriously give it a go, but i am still waiting to hear about the mileage this engine would get.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd be curious about how long these engines would last without having issues and of course would these be a cheaper alternative to the straight six turbo or will it be an option that cost double?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Come on guys... Tell me your not impressed its a god **** 1.5L 3 cylinder thats making over 300hp what more do you guys want. I'd seriously give it a go, but i am still waiting to hear about the mileage this engine would get.
Probably sounds like crap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would definitely try one out. I'd be interested to hear what the mileage is on these engines. As long as the car has good acceleration and handling and such, I can't be too upset if the engine doesn't rumble enough.

It all depends on what the trade off is.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I would definitely try one out. I'd be interested to hear what the mileage is on these engines. As long as the car has good acceleration and handling and such, I can't be too upset if the engine doesn't rumble enough.

It all depends on what the trade off is.
Definitely something to consider if the price of gas sky rockets out of control. The only trade I can see at the moment is the tone or sound this 1.5L 3 cylinder makes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This new alternative for sure isn't cheap I mean making that much horsepower from such a small displacement is huge. It is something to consider but the price could drive me away from this one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts