BMW 4-Series Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The folks at AutoEvolution have given us three good reasons why the upcoming M4 will be a better vehicle than the retiring E92 M3. Here they are.

1. The engine will be more powerful. With an engine that will produce more than 500 Nm of torque and 430 HP, the new M4 certainly won't disappoint.

2. The car will be lighter. With new CFRP production processes invented for the mass production of the i3, the new M4 will use carbon fibre everywhere it possibly can. Even the driveshaft will be lighter and made of one piece to allow for a better response.

3. An improved chassis. Compared to its predecessor, the new chassis will have better weight distribution and will be lower to the ground. This should give the M4 heightened maneuverability. The rear differential will also be locking, which should make for a fun driving experience.

Add in the fact that the new M4 has exclusive paint colors to choose, like Aurum Dust and Yas Marina Blue, new optional features and a refreshed design.

Any other reasons you think the new M4 will be better than the outgoing E92 M3? Anything that you think makes it worse?

·
Registered
743 Posts
The use of CF all over the M4 to cut weight will help a lot. It will also push other car makers to use this idea if they haven't already. The next step for BMW should be carbon fiber monocoques.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The main reason the M4 will be better than the E92 is the much needed increase in torque. It needs it. The many E92 enthusiasts claim that race cars use the same formula of high HP and lower torque....fact is, the 295 lbs that the E92 had hampered it during 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, etc., allowing the likes of such cars as the C63 to beat it. This new F30/32 M should be blistering fast, complementing its tight, buttoned down chasis.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The main reason the M4 will be better than the E92 is the much needed increase in torque. It needs it. The many E92 enthusiasts claim that race cars use the same formula of high HP and lower torque....fact is, the 295 lbs that the E92 had hampered it during 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, etc., allowing the likes of such cars as the C63 to beat it. This new F30/32 M should be blistering fast, complementing its tight, buttoned down chasis.
yea well those jackasses who quote race applications of high HP and low torque have forgotten thats only true with lightweight, high performance racing machines.

Consider the E92 M3 weighs as much as two formula one cars and you see how fatally flawed that logic is ;)

I'd say most important is the return to an inline 6. I6s are inherently more balanced than a rumbly cross plane v8...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd say most important is the return to an inline 6. I6s are inherently more balanced than a rumbly cross plane v8...
I've heard a lot of great things about the I6 since I started following BMW when I ordered my 435. How does it compare to the flat 6 that Porsche uses?

·
Registered
360 Posts
neither really. they are both great engines

flat 6s are usually able to achieve a lower COG

most of the time they have less vibration and can be made to rev higher than the inline 6.
both of them can be made to work great in a performance car

i do prefer the exhaust sounds from an inline 6

one thing I do not like about flat 4 of flat 6 motors is the maintenance. if you do your own it can be a hassle sometimes. especially when doing spark plugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts