BMW 4-Series Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife ordered a 428xi and it recently arrived at the Oxnard Vehicle Processing Center. (Los Angeles) The dealer received a memo from BMW that certain cars equipped with the Continental All Season tires are being held until the tires can be checked as there was a run of the tires that they have discovered did not meet minimum BMW specifications. So basically her car is held up in LA
until it gets cleared.

Anyone have a similar issue? For those that have a 428xi M Sport (or 435xi for that matter) what kind of all season tires came with it? ie what tire and rating....and most importantly how do they perform?

428 xdrive
Mineral Grey Metallic
M sport
18" alloy wheels -double-spoke with all Season
Black leather interior
Cold Weather package
Driver Assistance and plus
Premium Pkg
Tech Pkg

·
Registered
360 Posts
interesting. I haven't heard of it. But any continental all season tire isn't going to be the best tire.

Depends on what kind of driving you do. How long is the delay expected to be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No time given on the delay was supposed to be in Seattle next week. Just looking to verify what tires others with 428xd came with

I am Guessing Continental ContiProContact SSR(Grand Touring All-Season)
Size: 225/50R18
BMW, Run Flat
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 99V
Load Range: XL
UTQG: 400 A A
Price: $231.00

·
Registered
360 Posts
any 4 series owners want to chime in here on what tires they were delivered with?

personally I hate runflats. I always swap them out for regular summer tires.

·
Registered
339 Posts
contis are junk. Seriously junk, at least better than run flats...

I highly recommend swapping them out as soon as possible

·
Registered
743 Posts
contis are junk. Seriously junk, at least better than run flats...

I highly recommend swapping them out as soon as possible
People just get this ideal that they're some tires to be praised because BMW sells their vehicles with them. Most people that don't know much about cars also tend to stick with those "OEM" tires too, thats where i think it all starts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine came with Goodyear Eagle F1's... (19's staggered RFT) .. My winters are <by choice> Bridgestone Blizzaks (18's square non RFT's ).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine came with Goodyear Eagle F1's... (19's staggered RFT) .. My winters are <by choice> Bridgestone Blizzaks (18's square non RFT's ).
On a more important topic.....did you hit your break-in period yet?? I'm dying to see what kind of performance numbers you're capable of with the PPK stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On a more important topic.....did you hit your break-in period yet?? I'm dying to see what kind of performance numbers you're capable of with the PPK stuff.
Not yet..

·
Registered
743 Posts
Why the Blizzaks? and have you considered any other winter tires? did the dealer suggest you go with a specific model of winter tire they supply?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why the Blizzaks? and have you considered any other winter tires? did the dealer suggest you go with a specific model of winter tire they supply?
No.. I've had them before (on the E92), and quite like them. I've also had Michelin X-Ice, a good tire as well. Tire Rack is where I get them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's important not to generalize the blizzak tires though. The ws models are for more grip in snow and ice conditions while the lm models are more for cold but dry weather

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's important not to generalize the blizzak tires though. The ws models are for more grip in snow and ice conditions while the lm models are more for cold but dry weather
True.. I've used both.. Living by the Rockies across the "passes", the WS are definitely better in blizzards with the more aggressive tread, but you can overdrive them easier than the LM's, which handle the bare highways at speed better.

But for peace of mind and getting out of the un-plowed parking lot at Whistler unassisted with the WS.. .. priceless...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts