Akrapovic Pipes - BMW 4-Series Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 339
(Thread Starter)
Akrapovic Pipes

Akras new system features a new layout with two central link pipes replacing the single stock pipe, a new muffler design, and carbon fibre tips. The dual-mode ECU-controlled valve exhaust from Akrapovič offers stock-level sound at normal cruising, and a deep sporty note when driving the 435i spirited. The Akra system replaces stock from the cats back.

Akrapovic claims a 7 hp bump, 1.8 lbs weight reduction and 8 lbs of torque gained.




LISTEN!

http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/car/prod...=19&modelId=58
bird is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 360
I never liked how some of the akra exhausts had the carbon tips

they are a pain to clean.



cfrp is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 743
I always preferred titanium tips. But since BMW's have black diffusers, the carbon tip does help it blend in more. Still prefer titanium:





MPWR is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 01-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: southeast, Pa
Posts: 154
Great system, great sound...$3000 for a cat-back is out of hand, though. I'll take my 2 hp gain and very good sound with the mpe axle-back and save $2000.
scott is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 01-07-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 339
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Great system, great sound...$3000 for a cat-back is out of hand, though. I'll take my 2 hp gain and very good sound with the mpe axle-back and save $2000.
Indeed and good point as well. Akras are really more of an aspirational purchase

What other aftermarket pipes are out there?
bird is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Member
 
Foose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 82
posted this in the wrong section before....New M performance muffler and tips installed last friday.... Looks awesome with the engraved ///M's on the chrome tips. From the outside, I immediately heard the different more seductive "pitch note" of the burrrrrrr. My friend punch revved the engine a bit in park and I was BLOWN AWAY by the sound and gurgle by standing on the outside and it hasnt even been broken in for 1000 miles. Although I couldnt really hear a difference or droning while driving with the windows up.... with the windows down, it was very distinct. I could also tell others can hear it from their cars because how suddenly more cars tried to "tempt me to race" them that night than the entire month i had the car.

The parts department warned me that over the first month or so... The exhaust is going to become MUCH louder and MUCH deeper, and in idle hearing that wha wha wha with its gurgling. I just hope i can hear it a little more than i can now in the cabin in a month. It would be nice for me to share the experience of the sound of the muffler with everyone else on the street! haha
Foose is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Great system, great sound...$3000 for a cat-back is out of hand, though. I'll take my 2 hp gain and very good sound with the mpe axle-back and save $2000.
It's worth it for the amazing sound and baller status. Some people who understand exhaust systems do get custom setups made which saves a lot of money, something to consider.



MPWR is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 339
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foose View Post
posted this in the wrong section before....New M performance muffler and tips installed last friday.... Looks awesome with the engraved ///M's on the chrome tips. From the outside, I immediately heard the different more seductive "pitch note" of the burrrrrrr. My friend punch revved the engine a bit in park and I was BLOWN AWAY by the sound and gurgle by standing on the outside and it hasnt even been broken in for 1000 miles. Although I couldnt really hear a difference or droning while driving with the windows up.... with the windows down, it was very distinct. I could also tell others can hear it from their cars because how suddenly more cars tried to "tempt me to race" them that night than the entire month i had the car.

The parts department warned me that over the first month or so... The exhaust is going to become MUCH louder and MUCH deeper, and in idle hearing that wha wha wha with its gurgling. I just hope i can hear it a little more than i can now in the cabin in a month. It would be nice for me to share the experience of the sound of the muffler with everyone else on the street! haha
hey man shoot a vid when you can, I've never heard the M pipes before. Please and thank ya
bird is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Foose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
hey man shoot a vid when you can, I've never heard the M pipes before. Please and thank ya
will do! ill try and get one by before the weekend.... if not def by next week.
Foose is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 339
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foose View Post
will do! ill try and get one by before the weekend.... if not def by next week.
excellent, thanks guy

how much did the setup cost BTW? Were you able to order it as a factory option or was it an accessory you picked up from your dealer?
bird is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW 4-Series Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome